Monday, December 20, 2004

Why this blog?

I have been reading, with interest, several LDS blogs for some time now. It's a fascinating culture within a culture, really. I sometimes pity those from outside the church who visit such blogs, as I'm sure they may leave scratching their heads and saying, "Huh?"

But for those of us in the know, who live the culture, talk the talk and walk the walk, the Blogosphere is an excellent outlet. My goal is to share with you my perspective on life as a church member -- from outside the "Intermountain West".

Yes, true faith and testimonies can be found on the East Coast. I know that will come as a shock to many on the Wasatch Front. Yes, I even hold a temple recommend--gasp!.

I've found that, many times, when I mention that I live on the East Coast, Utahns instinctively ask when I'll be moving back to Utah! Their eyes cloud over, as if they can't grasp the fact that someone may actually choose to live "back east." And frankly, for many, you might as well say you live in Mongolia, since Washington, DC is just as foreign a place.

Don't get me wrong. I love Utah, I have lived there, and will probably live there again--someday. But I believe, and I believe rightly so, that the Church is the same everywhere. Are some units of the Church stronger than others? Sure. Is the gospel just as true in every ward and branch where it is preached? Absolutely.

Life is what we make of it. My take, often comical and tinged with sarcasm, is what you will see here on these pages. I welcome your comments, and hope you enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home