Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The 30-year old Sunbeam

Last Sunday was the first time I went to primary. Ever.

Our oldest have turned 3, and with the new year brings Primary. We've been talking up Sunbeams for a couple of months, to no avail. Sunday brought crying, kicking, whining, and clingyness. So, I went to Primary with them, deluded, thinking I could be of help.

I had a blast. I so want a Primary calling. Those Sunbeams are a crack up:

Sharing Time lady: "Every one of us is a child of God. Where did we live before we came here?"

Sunbeam, raising hand: "We lived in California!"

Too funny. That kid's family had, indeed, just moved from California, so he answered the question correctly.

My two Sunbeams, unfortunately, weren't as engrossed in the lesson. At one point I dragged both of them out, and looked for a place where I could talk to them and calm everyone down. I found the "Member Cleaning Supplies" room. Good as any. We talked. They calmed down. We went back to the Primary room.

Only they had dismissed to classes. I told them we'd now be going to their class. This brought another round of weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Back to the cleaning closet.

One of my sons wanted to go to class, the other didn't. So I decided to take the willing son to class, and come back and deal with the other one separately. This didn't go over too well.

Now, try to picture this, if you just happened to be walking down the hall and saw the following:

I found myself in the hallway, with one kid clung to my leg, crying, and another son standing in the door to the cleaning supply room, crying.

Me, frustrated, talking to son standing in the supply room: "Fine, just stay there and I'll deal with you in a minute!"

Then I turn around, and run right into... the stake president. Who just happened to be walking down the hallway at that moment. Of course. What timing. "Well," I think, "maybe he doesn't remember who I am."

"Hey Ed," he says (so much for not remembering me). "Looks like you have your hands full."

Yes, hands full, just leaving my poor children in a room full of deadly cleaning supplies and the mother-of-all-vacuum-cleaners. That's all.

We finally made it to class. Everyone was happy. I slipped out the door. And that was my first time in Primary.

4 Comments:

At January 07, 2005 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the joys of Primary! I have served in every calling Primary has to offer over the last 10 years, and, really, I've had a great time!! You just never know how the kids will answer your questions (as your example clearly demonstrated).

But, a little warning. Your children will tell all! If their teacher asks, they'll mention things that you never knew they were aware of. I can't tell you how many times I got an ear full of what discussions parent's have had!! LOL! You learn A LOT about the ward as a Primary teacher. 

Posted by Lizzy

 
At January 08, 2005 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching LDS Blogs and came across yours. I laughed out loud at this post! Blessings on you and your Sunbeams...better luck next week!

 

Posted by Sariah

 
At January 11, 2005 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lizzy: Thanks for the warning. I've been around kids long enough to know that their life is an open book. For example, "Shhh, let's surprise mommy!" turns into, "Mommy, we're going to surprise you with [whatever]!!"

You're lucky to have had those Primary callings. I'm not sure how I've managed 12 years without one.

Sariah: Thanks for stopping by! This last week we had a delay. The kids were sick, so we kept them home so as to not infect every child in the ward (not that other parents display the same courtesy...). Next Sunday is Stake Conference, so it will be like starting over from scratch. But we're having their teachers over for dinner and we're bribing them with ice cream. Bribing the kids, not the teachers. But we may also have to bribe the latter as well, lol. 

Posted by EastCoastEddie

 
At January 11, 2005 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think having the teachers over is a great idea! And bribing won't hurt either.

My mom always bribed us with ice cream too! And I'd have to say it worked! We knew that if we couldn't tell Mom what we learned about in church (as we got older it included Sacrament meeting talks too) then we weren't getting any dessert. And Mom was smart too, she would occasionally ask the teachers what the lesson was on so we couldn't just make up some good churchy topic!

Your boys might be a little young to recite what spiritual upliftment they've gotten at church each week, but I bet they could tell you what songs they sang and if their teacher told them a story. It will help them to realize that they are learning, even when they think they're just having fun. 

Posted by Sariah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home