Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Lend Me Your Ears

Perhaps you can help settle a differing point of view that Incrivel and I have come across.

Allow me to propose the following hypothetical situation.

You find yourself sitting, waiting for a Church meeting to begin, and perhaps you are seated next to a friend, such as Incrivel.

Hypothetically, you and Incrivel are reverently sitting there, minding your own business, quietly pondering and reflecting. Seated behind you, again hypothetically, is a person who holds a leadership position in your stake.

This stake leader begins to discuss something concerning your wife... Not knowing, of course, that you are your wife's husband, hypothetically. At least not recognizing you from the back of your hypothetical head.

So, while reverently sitting there, waiting for the hypothetical meeting to begin, you hypothetically overhear someone discussing your spouse's current calling, and how her calling was hypothetically inspired.

Now, hypothetically, what is one to do? Plug one's hypothetical ears? Irreverently begin to talk to someone else, so as not to hear? Hypothetically speaking, if someone discusses something while seated amidst 100-200 other people, shouldn't that person naturally assume that, hypothetically, others will overhear?

I maintain just that. Incrivel says I'm going straight to hell. Hypothetically speaking, that is.

Your thoughts?

5 Comments:

At August 04, 2005 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hypothetically, I don't really get the problem.

Is this a hypothetical new calling that hasn't been issued? If its a current calling, I don't know why one couldn't hear about it being inspired.

I can recall a few times that after a person has been placed in a calling (sustained and all), hearing some about inspiration involved.

Plus, hypothetically of course, as you mentioned, if the person is sitting in a room surrounded by people talking about this, it must not be confidential information.

But I do know one thing, hypothetically, you crack me up! Thanks for the post!

 
At August 04, 2005 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, this is just one of the many reasons Eddie is going to hell. :)

 
At August 04, 2005 3:57 PM, Blogger Nemesis said...

Hypothetically, looks like the stake leader needs to watch the wagging toungue.

I don't see how this relegates you to the fiery pit, though. Maybe if you planted a bug in the stake leader's office and sat in your car in the dark listening to the transmission, then you'd be in trouble.

 
At August 05, 2005 8:47 AM, Blogger motherof8 said...

Absolutely delighted to have you back!!

As positive things were hypothetically being said, I don't see a problem either. Criticism would be an entirely different matter! I think you are hypothetically fine "eavesdropping" or turning around and expressing interest in the conversation. I do agree that people, especially leaders perhaps, should be more aware that you cannot hold a "private" conversation in a crowd.

If East Coast Eddie is going to hell, I am certainly doomed (which I already suspected), but now I am looking forward to it; it is going to be much more pleasant than I orginally anticipated!

Incrivel, Takes one to know one??

 
At August 16, 2005 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theoretically, aren't all callings based on inspiration?
I don't see the problem either. Unless you mean that you aren't supposed to eavesdrop in general.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home