Friday, June 17, 2005

License Plates

I haven't written much lately, so I figured I'd go through my photo archives and put a picture up. You know, a picture is worth a thousand words, they say.

So I came across some pictures from last year's family reunion in Utah. It was a doozy, over a hundred people I've never seen before, many I will most likely never see again, but it was certainly fun.

While there I snapped a picture of my cousin's license plate (Anne's cousin actually, since all of my cousins live in New Jersey and few could even locate Utah on a map, but we're all family as far as I'm concerned) because it caught my attention:



Is this a new license plate? "Board Utah"? Is that now a choice, or did he doctor this thing up with a sticker or something? So I went to Utah's DMV site (no, it's not a slow day at work, but I am killing time before I go to meet the fam for dinner) to peruse their specialty plates. No Board Utah as far as I could see.

Most of Utah's specialty plates look the same, with the addition of a logo on the left hand side, be it for a school or organization or what have you. On one hand I say "Yawn", on the other hand, it is nice to be able to recognize a plate when you're out driving the interstates.

Take Virginia for example. There are so many designs, colors and styles (about 180), I pity the kids who play "license plate bingo" or whatever, because there's no telling what state it's from unless you (A) regularly study various state DMV websites, in which case I might recommend counseling, or (B) you get close enough to read the state and hope they don't have a license plate frame.

One of our cars has the Jamestown plate, one has the United We Stand, and another has the plain old boring blue on white plate.

There are some odd plates, I must admit. For instance:

No thanks. Don't care for spiders. Is that the school mascot? Oy, "you know you've picked a bad university when..."

I'd have that blasted song stuck in my head every day.

Why would I adopt a bus? Gas for my sedan costs enough, thanks.

Lakers fans might like this one for the colors We have friends who themed their enitre wedding in these colors (big fans)

We went and saw this when I was a kid. And now you can have it on your license plate.

You've got to be kidding me. Haven't seen this one on the road yet.

Is this something you really want to advertise? "Look at me! I'm in a top secret military unit! Shhhh!"

$25 a year for turkeys...? People are lining up around the block to get this one.

9 Comments:

At June 17, 2005 5:59 PM, Blogger NFlanders said...

Yeah, the "Board Utah!" is a sticker; a lot of people in Utah resent the Ski Utah plate and look for ways to circumvent it.

I love the ridiculous number of Virginia plates. If I had seen this plate before I went to the DMV, I totally would have got it (no matter what the wife says). I think the worst Virginia plate is this one. It looks like a bloody hand-print.

 
At June 17, 2005 9:49 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

Funny, I remember thinking the same thing the first time I saw the hand prints.

I had my wife convinced that due to an error in the online order form, her new license plates were going to look like this. She's learning, slowly, not to believe anything I say.

 
At June 18, 2005 2:21 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

Oh my gosh, my dad would flip out if they offered the Parrotheads plate in Illinois!

 
At June 18, 2005 4:59 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

Well now you know some options for your plates when you move down this way.

You can get personalized souvenir plates in Virginia. I don't know what people do with them, hang them on the garage wall? Use them when they go out to knock over a bank? I had a friend visit a couple of years ago who wanted to get a Harley plate for his dad, before that I had never heard of souvenir plates...

 
At June 20, 2005 6:19 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

I was shocked at the amount of vanity plates the first time I was in VA a few years ago. But my friend who I was with explained to me that vanity plates were no extra charge - or at least she didn't think they were. I need to seriously think about what to put on my plate.

 
At June 21, 2005 4:25 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

A few years ago I read that Virginia has the highest percentage of vanity plates in the country. There is a fee, but it's only $10/year which is comparatively low.

Many moons ago I had a vanity tag on my car, but now prefer the anonymity of a randomly assigned alphanumeric combination.

It's funny... I've come to recognize cars that I often see on my way to work. Most of the ones that I tend to remember are the ones with vanity plates.

 
At June 24, 2005 3:58 PM, Blogger Mika said...

yep, the board utah is a sticker, and there are a lot of them around. there are also some skateboard ones, and i have seen some others too. people do a pretty good job getting them to look right.

thanks for the funny i'm not 30 pic. :) i think i will have to use that for the rest of the day.

 
At June 24, 2005 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only a hundred or so family members you didn't know???

Most Mormon family reunions I've attended had at least 200 or so people that we'ren't well known and that's just in their nuclear family.

Start counting up all the in-laws of all the multiple wives and you could populate a town.

A town in Utah that is.

 
At November 21, 2009 4:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home