Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Cat's out of the bag...

So I had to ruin a surprise for Anne recently.

Next month I have a quick trip to Boston for a few days, and I had planned on getting Anne a ticket so she could join me for the first day and jet home the next morning. I planned to spring this on her a day or so before I left.

The problem, however, is that Anne is too organized and already had something planned that weekend. And it's church related, and it's something to which she had hoped to invite my mom and sister.

Now, I'm all for inviting my non-member family to church functions. But if you only knew how flakey my family can be... the last minute unforeseen bridge game, the sick dog, etc. I say, bag the church function and they can come to the Primary sacrament meeting in the fall.

So I came clean with my plans--plans she really liked--and we decided that she could invite my family to another choir performance a week or two earlier.

Upside: Problem solved.
Downside: Surprise ruined.

Then again, she probably would have noticed the unusual charge on the credit card statement...

2 Comments:

At May 04, 2005 12:32 PM, Blogger motherof8 said...

I say, purrfect! The surprise may be ruined, but now Anne has the fun of anticipation. I think many busy and organized people prefer to be "surprised" in advance and then have time to both plan their schedule and enjoy the anticipation. Sometimes looking forward to the event is almost as much fun as the event itself. Enjoy!

 
At May 04, 2005 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see you posted - lol.

I love surprises! And I LOVED when Ryan surprised me with a little get-a-way trip for my birthday, he told me on the morning we were leaving!

But this couldn't really be helped - and at least when you told her your plans she was surprised. And it really is true that: It's the thought that counts.

Have you been to Boston before? We used to live in Massachusetts (and Ryan was raised there). If you have time - do the Duck Tours, it's a blast! Have a fun trip!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home