Friday, April 08, 2005

I'm still here...

Apologies for the sporadic posting. Life happens.

So Anne is out of town this weekend. She's in Utah visiting her family. I took off work Thursday and Friday to spend with the kids in her absence.

Thursday was absolutely beautiful out. Wednesday was in the mid-80's, but Thursday was more in the mid-70's. The cherry blossoms are out in DC, so I packed a lunch, loaded everyone into the car and drove downtown.

We had a great time. We listened to a marching band performing on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial, strolled along the Tidal Basin enjoying the weather, the sun, the views, the flowers, and the people watching. And the people watching US, lol.

We found a shady area on the lawn to eat lunch. The kids ran around, per usual, but sat down whenever I had something good to offer them... like apple juice, or cookies. Many of the passersby enjoyed the scene. We were well positioned, as people would stop to read a plaque by the walkway, then look up and see my kids running around chasing birds and eating peanut butter crackers. I just sat there, happily letting them expend their energy out-of-doors, snapping the occasional photo.

At one point a little girl crawled over to say hello to the kids. Her mom followed her, and we got to chatting. Weather, nice. Flowers, pretty. Kids, handful. etc. etc. Then, her curiosity getting the better of her, she says:

"So... Do you work, or do you have the... uhhh... pleasure... of staying home with your children?"

Nicely worded. So I've been wondering why she asked me that. Maybe I looked so "together" that she assumed I did this full time? Yeah, right, that's it.

Maybe she worried about the sanity of my children, and thought about calling Child and Family services? That's more like it.

Maybe she thought I was an unemployable bum who makes his wife support the family? Admitedly, I hadn't shaved, and Anne always says I look like I belong on an "FBI's Most Wanted" poster when I don't shave. So maybe I looked unemployable?

Or is it just unusual to see a father spending time alone with his kids?

When I answered, I couldn't tell from her reaction what the motive had been behind her question. I guess general curiosity.

Regardless, the kids and I had a good time, and as soon as Blogger decides to cooperate I'll put up some pictures.

2 Comments:

At April 08, 2005 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! I want to see pictures!!!

 
At April 11, 2005 11:53 AM, Blogger motherof8 said...

I agree with Sariah.

I am so envious that you live so close to Washington DC, except that I love the west coast, too. (And I don't mind missing out on the humidity) When my son completed his Washington DC South mission, my kids gave me tickets to fly back and meet him. We spent two weeks wandering his mission, mostly northern Virginia, and visitng DC. I loved it! Especially the monuments. I found them all deeply moving and could have spent endless hours at every one.

What a great country we live in!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home