Friday, March 18, 2005

Dinner vs. Meeting

So last night I had a stake meeting I could have gone to. I was told I didn't have to go, but I was "invited." Normally, I'd have gone, given the implication of "invited" in Priesthood terminology. I sent a couple of my lackeys to the meeting, so I'll get all the juicy details later.

Instead, we went to my sister's for dinner. She was making corned beef and cabbage. Now, quite frankly, that menu alone would typically be enough to make the stake meeting my top priority ("I'm sorry, it's urgent business which cannot otherwise be postponed or delegated!"). But it had been a while since I had seen my sister, and hey, it was one less meal Anne and I would have to cook and clean-up after.

I remember my mom making this, every year, on St. Patrick's Day. I seem to be the only person in the world who doesn't care for it... Nonetheless, each year I'd go along, eat the meal, and thank my lucky stars that this wasn't a mainstay of American cuisine.

So when my sister told me Wednesday night what she was making, she sensed my forced affirmative reply. She offered to make me a PB&J, which I declined. Then she confessed that she always hated mom's meat loaf. So I ate the food at her house (minus the cabbage), and quite frankly, it wasn't half bad.

I'm not saying that I want to boil a big, red chunk of beef with cabbage balls at my house next year. Don't get me wrong. But I suppose it's something I can tolerate every now and then.

Anne likes the stuff, and I'm really surprised given that her parents were on a cabbage diet at one point during her childhood. Yes, that was about all they ate. Cabbage, cabbage, cabbage. Anne was able to eat normal food during this odd phase of her parents' continuing weight-loss craze, but she said the house always smelled of cabbage. If there's one thing worse than Atkins (anyone who tells me I can't eat pasta or bread has another thing coming), I'd have to say it's the "cabbage diet."

6 Comments:

At March 18, 2005 5:55 PM, Blogger NFlanders said...

My mother-in-law is also a big fan of the Corned Beef on St. Patrick's Day. I don't know why we should all have to suffer just because the Irish did.

 
At March 18, 2005 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a corned beef and cabbage fan either. My St. Patrick's Day tradition is to serve green foods, some of which became green with the help of food coloring.

And I'm also with you on the Atkin's diet. Pasta is my favorite! I try to make it the healthy way by mostly using whole wheat pasta - which with a good sauce can taste just as good as the old-fashioned enriched flour kind.

 
At March 19, 2005 5:41 PM, Blogger motherof8 said...

I tried corned beef and cabbage once. That was enough. Maybe I didn't cook it right. I usually either have steamed/boiled potatoes, cabbage, carrots and maybe ham or green foods like Sariah. The boiled vegetables are pretty good. The green foods can be lots of fun.

I am putting in this comment on "St Joseph's Day," celebrated in Spain and Italy. Today we are supposed to wear red, enjoy a feast, and feed widows and beggars. Why doesn't that catch on?

I guess St Pat has a better publicist.

 
At March 21, 2005 11:56 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I used to hate corned beef, but actually started liking it about 5 years ago. I don't know why, I guess my "corned beef appreciation" synapse kicked on.

We had a St. Patrick's Day party and I made corned beef and cabbage. It was a hit!

 
At March 21, 2005 11:57 AM, Blogger Eddie said...

Yay! I have sympathy!

Ned... lol @ "I don't know why we should all have to suffer just because the Irish did."

Too funny. I'm going to remember that one.

I remember my mom telling me that my grandmother used to love this meal, etc. etc. My grandmother was an Irish descendant, had red hair and everything. Now, I've married a red head, so I feel that Grandmom is probably happy with me regardless of what I eat on St. Patricks' day.

Sariah: Green food is certainly fun, I remember many fun (and odd) meals that way! As far as whole wheat pasta... Hmmm, I can't say I've ever knowingly tried it. Our house is stocked with Barilla!

Barbara: St. Joseph definitely needs some more publicity. Truth be told, if St. Patty's day wasn't an excuse to head to the nearest Irish pub, for many the day would be long since forgotten!

 
At March 21, 2005 11:58 AM, Blogger Eddie said...

Kelly: That might explain why I liked my sister's cooking... Could it be that at age 30 something kicked in? Or maybe it was in her preparation?

I am standing firm on one thing, though... no lamb for Easter dinner! I tried it once, and quite frankly, it was enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home