Monday, March 14, 2005

Weekend Flash

Friday night we went to see "The Work and the Glory" movie. I only ever read the first book in the series, and that was about 10 years ago. After marrying Anne there was little point in reading the rest since she told me what happened. Overall, not a bad flick. I find it hard to believe they're going to make 9 of these, though.

Saturday Anne was gone for a good part of the day, up in Maryland to hear Bonnie Parkin. I've always liked Sister Parkin since I found out she's an Aggie. Anne said Sister Parkin high-fived her. I have to admit, she never struck me as the high-fiving kind of lady, but I guess that's because I've only ever seen her during church broadcasts. That's probably frowned upon during General Conference.

Sunday night's fireside went well. We had been asked to talk about--big surprise here--dating. The YW had chosen the topic, surprised? However, the YW's advisor who invited us specifically asked us to focus on being happy with yourself before trying to find someone else with hopes that they will make you happy.

We began by talking about who we are (children of God) and why we're here (to get "home"). Then we moved to the subject-at-hand with Anne recounting "our story". I told her we should make the story more interesting, you know, maybe throw in a drunken bar brawl, but she didn't agree. So instead I offered "The Rest of the Story", from my perspective. The YW were funny, throwing in lots of "Ohhh, that's so sweeeet!" type comments.

Then we talked about four general areas to consider: spiritual, physical, social, and intellectual. We talked about each of these, shared some experiences, and had good questions and comments from the group. After, a line of crying young women formed to hug my wife. I got a thumbs-up from one of the guys. Maybe that was his version of the tearful hug, and that's quite alright with me. Oooh, and the best part: cupcakes for refreshments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home