Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Life in VA

I saw this list, "You know you're from Virginia when..." over at blogthings.com. Now, I have to admit, at first I was very skeptical.

You see, "Northern Virginia" and Virginia are like two separate states. Those of us in Northern Virginia really live here because of DC, whereas those in the rest of the state live there because we're up here making lots of money and paying taxes so those people can have passable roads.

So if I say, "I'm from Virginia," most people will say, "Really? You don't have an accent." You say you're from Virginia, and they think pickup drivin', chaw spittin', tobacco farmin' Southerner.

Of course I don't have an accent. I live in Northern Virginia. Big difference there. NoVA is full of people from other areas who live here because (A) they work for the government, or (B) work for a company who works for the government. For this reason I figured the Virginia list wouldn't really apply, but then I found it was written from a NoVA point of view (except for the last 6 or 7 items which I didn't bother to copy). I've bolded the ones that are really right on the mark.

Speed limits are just suggestions

You have at least two friends who have no idea what their relatives do...because its "top secret" government work

Most of your senior class went to Mason, JMU, Tech, VCU or UVA

When people ask where you're from, you tell them DC because its easier to explain

You've never told someone you're from Virginia without putting "northern," "central," or "southern" in front of it (See above.)

It's not actually tailgating unless your bumper is touching the car in front of you.

You know a yellow light means at least 5 more cars can get through. A red light means 2 more can.

You actually know what the black boxes at stoplights are for (smile, you're on camera!).

Despite the fact that Virginia fought for the south in the Civil War, you are not, under any circumstances, a "southerner"

You are amused by visiting relatives who are actually excited to see Washington, DC

You took a field trip to Williamsburg as a kid

You are amazed when you go out of town and the people at McDonalds speak English

You or someone in your family has a Smart Tag

An inch of snow and you miss 3 days of school

All the potholes just add a little excitement to your driving experience

Crown Victoria = undercover cop

Subway is a fast food place. The transportation system is known as Metro, and only Metro.

They just tore down the old farm house across the street and put 12 new Mansions in its place

For the cost of your house, you could own a small town in Iowa

If you stay on the same road long enough, it will eventually have three new names.

You have to dial the area code to call your neighbor
Too true, all of the above.

3 Comments:

At May 09, 2005 7:45 PM, Blogger Lisa M. said...

This was a fun read. I enjoyed it. I have lived in various different parts of the country, but never near where you are at. It was quite insightful. We have been considering a move to West Virginia, there is a children's hospital there that provides treatments my son needs. It was fun to read your entry. Thanks for the list!

 
At May 11, 2005 8:49 PM, Blogger Whacky Wheelers said...

I enjoyed reminiscing! We moved from Maryland about 5-1/2 years ago and I still used "DC area". The other problem I have here . . . I was born and raised in Nashville, Tennessee. When my family comes to visit and people ask where they are from . . . they say Nashville and I have to add the Tennessee, because there is a Nashville in Southern Illinois.

Thanks for making me laugh!!

 
At May 12, 2005 11:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in NoVA for 7 years so this really made me laugh. It's really a wonderful place and there are some days I really miss it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home