Monday, May 16, 2005

3 days gone in a flash...

Back from a nice three day weekend that went by faster than my drive to work today. Three days with no phones ringing, email or coworkers with crises that need immediate resolution.

But lest you say, "A three day weekend? How nice!", read on. Unfortunately much of Friday was spent having new tires put on my aging vehicle. As Incrivel said to me at church yesterday, "How many million miles do you have on that car?" Hey, it's paid for.

Naturally the tire people can't stop at selling you just two tires. You need an alignment, and you need new tie rods, and you need this, and that, and valve stems, and shop fees, and who knows what else. And I found myself saying, "Why was it, exactly, that I didn't go to Costco?"

So I politely declined the additional parts they offered, and will take the car to my trusted mechanic. While sitting in the waiting room at the tire place I got talking to another guy there, who is in DC for the summer. His home residence? St. George, Utah.

Here's the best part about the tire store experience. They quoted me the price for the new tie rods, which included 1.5 hours of labor (note: that's an hour and a half). When I said that I really didn't have time to wait around any longer, the sales clerk said, and I'm not making this up, "It shouldn't take too long. We can get it in the shop now, and have you out of here in less than an hour!"

Apparently he didn't recognize that disconnect.

2 Comments:

At May 28, 2005 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our Eddie seems to be "gone in a flash"! Except it's not quite a flash, since he's been gone for almost two weeks!

Lucky for us, this is another 3 day weekend, maybe he'll have some fun holiday adventure to tell us about.

 
At June 08, 2005 4:42 AM, Blogger Stephen said...

labor charges in auto shops are by task, according to fixed schedules, not the actual time it takes to do the task. interesting how that works out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home