Friday, November 04, 2005

Lost

I really don't watch much television. Between work, school, family, church and the ever elusive pursuit of happiness, there's just not much time. Plus, there's really nothing good on anyway.

So last Spring my wife and I happened to turn on the TV, and she convinced me to turn off the talking head news channels I usually like the watch. We flipped over to ABC, and happened to catch the first episode of LOST, in re-runs. Needless to say, it caught our attention.

The next week again we just happened to be flipping channels, and came across LOST again. "Oh yeah, we saw this last week." Well, after the second exposure, we decided we'd have to remember to watch it the following week.

Which we did. And continued to do so each week all summer. In fact, we got irritated when ABC skipped an episode (there were more episodes than weeks in the summer, apparently). So we did something we've never done heretofore: we bought the LOST Season 1 DVD collection. I mean, really. You can't skip 5-6 shows and still know what's going on. For example, it's important to know that the daughter of the guy that Jin beat to a pulp was watching a news report about an overweight US lottery winner--who happens to be on the island with Jin. Nifty, eh?

Anyway, we watched LOST every night for what seemed an eternity. Then the regular season started back up. I wasn't quite mumbling the numbers 4.. 8.. 15.. 16.. 23.. 42.. in my sleep, but I think I came close.

One day I was bored at work, so I googled some LOST sites to see what was out there. There are some pretty whack theories out there about what's going on in this show. One of my more favorite comments was in reference to the numbers I listed above (which for the non-LOST fans out there, show up in startling regularity):

I know the significance of the numbers. They're all prime
numbers. I bet there's something to do with that.

Eeeeeeyeah. Well, all prime numbers except for 4, 8, 15, 16 and 42. So, yeah, 23 is a prime number. I think that guy skipped math class and watched "Contact" one too many times. I mean, I like Jodi Foster and all, but let's get a grip.

4 Comments:

At November 04, 2005 4:49 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

It's funny, I had heard some people talk about Lost last year. I watched it once mid-season and was, well, completely lost. It made no sense whatsoever. There was something in the jungle that freaked everyone out, people were mad that some people were on the beach while some were in caves, there was a french woman, etc.

I gave up. Having seen it from the beginning, however, made a difference. Though I wonder how long they can keep the momentum.

And hey, I've been commenting on your blog, so I haven't been completely lost!

 
At November 08, 2005 7:02 PM, Blogger NFlanders said...

I am also happy to see you back, Eddie. I saw what your post was about and quickly changed the page because my wife and I are about 3 episodes behind on Lost (they are waiting for us on our Tivo) and I thought you were going to reveal something. (I've since read your post through my fingers and determined it was spoiler-free.)

I love Lost, too.

 
At December 01, 2005 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. I am behind on reading your blog. I really like the show Lost too. I rented the 1st season, then started watching the 2nd, but I've had to miss several episodes - which is really lame because there was 2 weeks in a row where I was ready to watch, but they did re-runs! - so I'm hoping I haven't missed out on too much to start watching again.

 
At December 01, 2005 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. not so behind. I just missed a couple posts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home