Wednesday, August 15, 2007

States Where I've Been


Create your own visited states map

First of all, HT to the Probative Blog for pointing me to the map creator.

Here are the states that I have been to, at least those I remember. It's possible I have been to North Dakota, but it was a wild weekend so I can't tell for sure (age 4). I have photographic evidence of me standing in front of Mount Rushmore in South Dakota.

In college, my roommate and I used to keep a map of where we had been in the states. Our general rule was that airport layovers didn't count (so New York remains unvisited on my map, despite a few layovers at La Guardia, and Minnesota doesn't make the cut because I've never actually breathed air outside the MSP terminal). We had a rule of thumb that to qualify as having "visited" a state, you needed to have done one of the following:

(A) spent the night--outside of an airport
(B) ate a meal--outside of an airport
(C) at a minimum, purchased a beverage--outside of an airport

That prompted us to drive, one cold evening, to Franklin, Idaho (a suburb of Preston). We stopped at La Tienda, each bought a soda, then jumped in the car and headed back to Utah. I have since returned to Idaho countless times, but that quick trip qualified checking Idaho off the list.

A few notes about my current map:


  • I wonder if Arizona really counts, given the above rules. I've been through the Phoenix airport a time or two. And I've driven I-15 from St. George to Las Vegas at least three times. So, you decide whether that counts or not. I don't recall purchasing a beverage in Arizona, but I'm sure I had a bottled water with me.
  • It's obvious from this map that my half dozen or so trips to Boston have been by air.
  • I have always wanted to visit Seattle. Unfortunately my trip to Washington state was by car from Portland into the Middle of Nowhere, WA--for a wedding reception. I did spend the night, and ate at least two meals.
  • I think I've seen all there is to see in Nevada. It didn't take long.
  • My fondest memories of visiting Omaha, NE involve hunkering in the basement during an F3 tornado. Dinner with our hosts started off so nice, then the sirens started wailing and the rest of the evening was eventful, to say the least.

4 Comments:

At August 16, 2007 11:15 AM, Blogger Sariah said...

Fun! You've been to a lot of states! (Even if just briefly.) My map wouldn't be nearly as interesting. lol

 
At August 23, 2007 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not like you haven't been anywhere, Sariah. I can think of at least 10 states you've been to.
I think I've been to about 10 as well.

Wow, Eddie you have been a lot of places. Since you've been to so many already, it would be neat to visit the rest of the states, just to be able to say you've seen them all.

lol. You could start making sure you have a bit of a layover just so you'll have time to leave the airport & grab a drink at the first place you see. :)

 
At September 19, 2007 3:30 PM, Blogger Heather said...

You dont know me, but I saw your map and decided to get one for my own blog...but then when I put it in, the right side is cut off, so you cant see my extensive east coast travel...is there some secret to showing it all as you did?

 
At September 19, 2007 4:14 PM, Blogger Liz the Poet said...

Well, if I apply your rules, I've only visited 16 states. But, if I completely ignore your rules, I've "visited" 19.

(But, since I feel your rules make sense, I'll go with 16 and a new resolve to see more of this great country).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home