Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Yo VIP, let's kick it!

This morning as I was pulling into the parking garage at work, I was rapid-firing through my station presets before I lost signal coverage.

I'm pretty fast when I go through the stations. Anne is convinced I can't possibly know what song is playing by listening to half a second of it. I can tell. This morning, just prior to entering Static City, I stopped on a song I hadn't heard in ages.

Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice Baby". I haven't heard that song since, let's see, 8 weeks after the album debuted and radio stations stopped playing it.

The 30 seconds or so that I heard today brought back some memories.

Picture it: Fall 1990. Junior year of high school. Someone asked me to help out with the homecoming float (probably a girl, otherwise I can't see why I would have participated). The theme of the year was "Fry the Falcons", the Falcons being the team that we would play at the big game.

So we met to discuss float ideas. They ("we") came up with a big pot, with a bald bird head bobbing up and down in the pot with fake smoke and what have you. At a subsequent float building meeting, it was determined that we would paint "Boil the Falcons" on the side of the pot.

At this point, I chimed in and said, "Uh, isn't the theme Fry the Falcons? Shouldn't we do a frying pan instead? And, you know, paint Fry the Falcons on the side of it?"

I'm sure the young lady who invited me regretted her lack of foresight. Needless to say, we constructed a pot and painted "boil" on the side of it.

How does this tie in to "Ice Ice Baby", you ask?

Because no homecoming float is complete without loud music! (I learned.) They got the DJ kid to load his equipment onto the float, and as it made it's way around the track at the big game, they blared "Ice Ice Baby" while the bald bird head bobbed up and down in a boiling pot of inter-school rivalry and disdain.

The seniors had a pretty good float. If I recall, it was a frying pan.

Quick to the point to the point no fakin'
I'm cooking MC's like a pound of bacon!


So that's what came back to me this morning as Vanilla Ice faded into the static in the parking terrace at work.

Oh, later that year I dated a senior. At some point in our relationship, the homecoming float inevitably came up.

Her: "What were you guys thinking? Boil the Falcons? The theme was Fry the Falcons. We got a good laugh out of that. Idiot juniors."

Me: "Yeah, but the music was bumpin'."

If there was a problem yo I'll solve it!
Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home